[ale] Ghostscript: pdf2ps

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Mon May 7 15:06:45 EDT 2001

I tried to use pdf2ps to translate an ~8.5MB .pdf file into Postscript.
Imagine my horror when resulting Postscript file was 112MB.  I looked at the
output and saw that there appeared to be a lot of "code" and not "content."
I could do word searches on the original .pdf, so I know that the text was
not simply rasterized.  Yet, gs appears to have made no attempt to actually
translate the text; in fact, it looks as though gs rasterized the content.

My interest here is in taking tabular data from a .pdf file and munging it
via, say, perl.  My hope was that the human-unreadable .pdf file would
become more mungeable after being translated to PS.  Any suggestions?

- Jeff