[ale] failed kernel recompile

E.Y.Coley III caesar at alanne.com
Sun Mar 11 16:51:23 EST 2001

I am running RedHat 7.0, kernel 2.2.16 and I am trying to recompile my
kernel for use with the emu10k1 driver for the SoundBlasterLive! PCI
sound card. I change to the directory /usr/src/linux-2.2.16, use make
xconfig, select the appropriate sound module, run make dep, make clean,
then make zImage. The make zImage fails with the following error messages
in the last few lines:

make[2]: *** [ksyms.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/kernel'
make[1]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.2.16/kernel'
make: *** [_dir_kernel] Error 2

Can anyone give me some direction as to why the recompile is
unsuccessful, or what these error messages mean, or both? Thank you.
EY Coley