[ale] Upgrade to 2.4.2 kernel procedures

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Thu Mar 8 15:47:37 EST 2001

If you want to chance RH 7.1 beta 2, it installs 2.4.2 by default now.
Alternately, you can install the kernel-*2.4.2-* packages from the Raw Hide
tip. If you do that, you'll definitely need the devfsd and reiser* packages,
and should probably upgrade your binutils and glibc* packages as well. The
kernel documentation (either in the kernel-doc* package or in the source
tarball) has a list of other software mods you'll need (I think in a Changes
file).

If you're absolutely insistent on rolling your own from a 2.2-based machine,
you'll need to grab the devfsd tarball, esp. if you compile in the /dev
filesystem to load by default. And at the risk of opening up old wounds, I
actually use the controversial gcc-2.96.* compiler for the kernel. No
problems, but then again I'm only running on a Pentium MMX. The software
mods in the aforementioned Changes file also apply here.