[ale] macromedia & internet future

Fulton Green ale at FultonGreen.com
Thu Mar 8 09:24:11 EST 2001

Off the top of my head:
- Macromedia does have a closed-source Flash plugin binary for the Intel
  i[3-6]86 platforms. The latest RealPlayer (ditto on platform and source
  non-availability) also has RealFlash support. I don't know if either of
  these can handle the more generic Shockwave stuff, of which Flash is a
  subset (unless they've changed around stuff in the past two years).
- Supposedly, there are *some* aspects of Shockwave and/or Flash design
  that allow for open standards (SMIL? SVG?) to be used in Flash animations.
- If you search on Freshmeat, you'll find not only the Perl mod for creating
  rudimentary Flash content, but also an attempt at a reverse-engineered,
  open-sourced Flash plug-in (though it may very well be stale by now).

In short ... is there a Flash doctor in the house?

The open source community needs to address this SOON. Most entertainment
sites rely on Flash animation, and now a ton of corporate sites are using
Flash for their, um, "splash" ...