[ale] macromedia & internet future

James Kinney jkinney at localnetsolutions.com
Thu Mar 8 09:08:23 EST 2001

I saw a blurb about a perl-based flash writer that could do some amazing
things with text animations.

Flash is a pretty lightweight way to add some great animation effects on a
web page. The closed source is a problem. I like the effects. I would be
happy if it were ported to Linux so I could use it at native speed instead
of vmware (the generator, not the plugin).

At an ALE meeting a few months back, emediat demo'd their RadBuilder. It
does much of what flash does. It does require a different plugin,
available for Linux and M$ (no Mac). www.emediat.com  They are releasing
it open-source!

Security is always a concern when I don't have access to the source. I
don't know what type of "sandbox" flash plays in and they don't tell any
tech info. From what I have been able to deduce from the operation, it
hooks to the browser past the html rendering engine to use it to gain
access to the graphics device. Ditto for the sound. So it seems to run
with whatever permissions the browser runs with. I wouldn't run it as
root.