[ale] Napster protocol open or closed?

David S. Jackson dsj at sylvester.dsj.net
Sat Mar 3 04:50:15 EST 2001

On Sat, Mar 03, 2001 at 04:41:14AM -0500 Eric Z. Ayers <eric.ayers at mindspring.com> wrote:
> It isn't an RFC, but many people have written software to the napster
> protocol.  go to www.freshmeat.net and look for 'napster'

I was just looking around, and it's amazing how much else there
is than just Napster.  Seems like the best at this point is
webnap (webnap.sourceforge.net), a mynap client/server, and
opennap (opennap.sourceforge.net).  Techtv is keeping up pretty
well with it in their audiofile section.  (techtv.com/audiofile)

Looks like the client/server model is giving way to the
peer-to-peer model, since the server network paradigm makes the
hosts too vulnerable to lawsuits, whereas the peer-to-peer idea
is harder to assign legal responsbility for and therefore stop.

So I guess sharing is here to stay, legal or not, huh?  :0>

David S. Jackson                        dsj at dsj.net