[ale] procmail on outgoing emails

Brad Dixon rbdixon at bellsouth.net
Fri Jun 22 10:50:50 EDT 2001

Hello:

I've got a script that I would like to run on outgoing emails to collect
some data. Using procmail would be ideal for this effort.

Since I'm running RedHat 6.2 and 7.1 I'm using the sendmail MTA. Digging
through the sendmail cf file nightmare I'm observing that there does seem
to be a hook for using procmail in mailertables.

I just don't know jack about mailertables!

Q: Is there anyway to do this as a regular user and not have to muck with
all of these files?

Assuming no:

The sendmail README.cf says that the following line:

host.com        procmail:/etc/procmailrcs/host.com

would extend the mailertable to pass all mail destined for host.com
through procmail. These lines appear to go in /etc/mailertables or
somewhere else designated in the sendmail.cf file.

a) Is there a way to make a mailertable entry correspond to all hosts?
b) Does the mailertable entry make a copy to hand to procmail or does it
send the message to procmail and assume procmail will deliver it?

Thanks,

Brad

--
Brad Dixon (rbdixon at bellsouth.net)