[ale] modified question netscape pop-up zapper?

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Jun 22 10:41:28 EDT 2001

Mel Burslan wrote:

> I have another question more on the internals of popup killing. A while
> back, while I was trying to do something along the same lines which
> included killing a netscape window but not the others. I have come to
> realize that, every window that pops onto your x-display, is actually
> NOT an independent process. Netscape, somehow uses multithreading I was
> told by some people around me at that time and I gave up my quest.
>
> While we are talking about the subject, I want to ask the audience this
> : regardless it is a popup or not, how can you kill one of the netscape
> windows on your desktop while not touching the others, from the command
> line, not by clicking the window close square or any other means
> utilizin the gui ?
>
> Any takers ? TIA...

I delved into this issue a while back, with moderate success.  Check out
this link for some info on the '-remote' option to netscape:

http://home.netscape.com/newsref/std/x-remote.html

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein