[ale] server question

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 16 17:04:02 EDT 2001

Sage wrote:

> > This is bizarre.  I'd place my bets on a getting-continually-worse faulty
> > memory chip or motherboard or other primary hardware device.
> >
> Or perhaps the system has been comprimised and a trojan is eating up all
> the resources?
>
> If a trojan is the case, it's not showing up with 'top' or 'ps aux'. We've wondered that too.

If it's a trojan (sounds unlikely given other messages on this thread),
then it might not show up in ps or top. Once you've got root access,
it's
comparitively simple to install kernel hacks that make selected
processes
invisible (or files, or users, or...).

is a real eye-opener on these issues.

-- Joe

-- Joseph A. Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *