[ale] good linux / good processor architecture

Thompson Freeman tfreeman at intel.digichem.net
Sat Jun 16 15:00:32 EDT 2001

On Sat, 16 Jun 2001, Casey Allen Shobe wrote:

> > > what linux distro do you reccomend and why?
>
> Wow, time to give my opinion so people can be pissed off at it...woo hoo!
<<snip>>

> I can't decide if my next linux server should be a sparc or a PPC (or
> other).  Any recommendations?
>
> - Casey Allen Shobe
<<snip>>

Well, I've got SuSE running on an iBook and am mostly happy with the
software (I am having challenges with Gnome, and the keyboard drives me
nuts. I knew about the keyboard going in, so that doesn't count much). I
also like the Alpha chip, and have a friend who gets good mileage out of
Sparc. Unless you have fairly specific needs which might be better
addressed by one set of hardware over another, pick your choose and you
probably won't go wrong.

(Point of discussion - One of the things I _really_ like is the range of
archetectures that Linux runs on. Whether or not this helps keep things
flexible/portable is probably not properly established, but I accept it as
an article of faith. YMMV.)

The harder I work, the luckier I get.
                    Lee Iacocca
Thompson Freeman          tfreeman at intel.digichem.net