[ale] good linux

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Fri Jun 15 08:07:54 EDT 2001

Stephen Turner wrote:

> what linux distro do you reccomend and why?

Wow, what an open ended question.

I started out on Slackware, then a couple of interations of Red Hat,
Turbo Linux once after that, SuSE and Mandrake of lately.

Just did an upgrade to Mandrake 8.0, and by that I mean backup existing
stuff, clean install of Linux.  Of all the installs I've done, this was
the cleanest by far.  It was not perfect, but no real show stoppers.

I'd say you can't go wrong with Mandrake or Red Hat, but I've not done
RH in a while.  SuSE was a very clean install, but because they put
things in different places and use different naming scheme for their
rpms, it was difficult to get use to and upgrade.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein