[ale] good linux

Vernard Martin vernard at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Jun 15 07:46:16 EDT 2001

> what linux distro do you reccomend and why?

I don't reocmend any distro per se. I just give a few comments on the ones that
I have used for various reasons.

1) RedHat 7.1
   For the most prat, RedHat produces a very good linux distor. Easy to install.
   Fairly good support. Really good suport if you plunk down a signficant chunk
   of money. And their auto-update software will help you keep it more secure
   than otherwise. Its easier to find .rpms for redhat than any other distro
   that supports .rpms.

2) Suse
   It just works. You don't ever have to worry about getting underneat
   hood. More softwrae out of the box than you can shake a stick at so you
   dont' have to spend all your time having to search and download it from the
   net. Supports KDE out of the box better than RedHat in my opinion.

3) Mandrake
   Kind of the best of both worlds combo of RedHat and SuSE. Generately seen
   as the best linux distro for use as a desktop. GAining rapid support by
   the community. You can find some rpms for it that aren't compiled for any
   other distro (a sign of preference for it by some parts of the community).

oh yeah, slackware isn't too bad either but I gave it up because it doesn't
hvae a software distribution package other than .tar.gz files. No biggie really
but I'm too lazy to compile everythign from source these days. :)

Vernard Martin (vernard at cc.gatech.edu) http://www.cc.gatech.edu/~vernard/
        "Anything worth fighting over is worth fighting dirty over"