[ale] ethernet switch issues

Ned Williams nwilliams at interland.net
Wed Jun 13 13:51:04 EDT 2001

Michael Curtis wrote:

> What kind of NICs are you using?  I had a similar problem with 3com 3c905's
> (the "a" series) not autosensing between 10 and 100 (I believe this was
> fixed in the "b" and up series), and had to use their diag software to force
> the thing to go to 100.  But then again we were first using 10MB hubs and
> switched to a 10/100 config.  In any case, we would get a link light and the
> led would say 100, but would fail to work until they were set.
>
> -Mike

What kind of collision rates do you have on your interfaces? A common issue with
100Mb switches is auto speed/duplex negotiation. Are you working at 10 or 100
megabit?Half or full duplex? A common problem can arrise with 100Mb/Full duplex
switches when the nic in the sever/pc is not auto sensing the proper duplex. Also
is your switch manageable?(does it support snmp polling?) I dont think the
netgears are, so your best bet is to watch your ifconfig on your pc/server. If
you are using belkin I doubt the cables are your problem. Force your nic to
10mb/half duplex and see if you still have problems, if you do, try another nic,
preferbly a 10mb only nic, if you still have problems I would start to look at
your switch.

Ned