[ale] Automation

I. Herman izzmo at mediaone.net
Wed Jun 6 10:16:55 EDT 2001

For the automatic process thing, you can place the command line into your
/etc/rc.local file or somewhere in the rc.x folder (x being the init level
you want the process to start at).

As for the 2nd PATH thing....if you are trying to do this as a script, you
gotta make sure the proper command interpreter is there at the beginning of
the file...i.e.

#!/bin/csh
setenv LD_LIBRARY_PATH /dir/otherdir/this_dir

or

#!/bin/ksh
set LD_LIBRARY_PATH /dir/otherdir/this_dir ; export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

There are initialization files that you can place this in on a per-user or
global place w/out having to make it a script.  I'm not sure in Linux which
direction these would be, as it *may* vary by distribution, but look for
your .profile, .login, .local.profile, etc as well as these same files in
/etc/skel.  You can place your PATH info in one of these files (depending on
default shell) and it would set it for you w/out needing an external script.

If you use bash by defualt, here's what's in my /etc/skel/.bash_profile

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
fi
export BASH_ENV=$HOME/.bashrc
#you can add the following into this file
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/dir/otherdir/this_dir

I haven't seen a lot of my emails, so this may of been answered for you
already, if not...good luck.  TTYL.

Izzie