[ale] Several problems with DLink 538TX+ network card

John Mills jmmills at telocity.com
Tue Jun 5 10:11:41 EDT 2001

On Sun, 3 Jun 2001, Transam at cavu.com wrote:
> byron at cc.gatech.edu (Byron A Jeff) Writes:
> > After battling with Telocity for several months, I advised him to
> > switch to cable. Of course the tech brought a new card, a Dlink 538TX,

I only give Telocity a C+ for service, compared to our previous
[NorthPoint-casualty] ISP, but they have not shown any hangups with Linux,
Unix, nor the user's choice of hardware.

> > Unfortunatly I can't use it because the cable modem is MAC address
> > keyed, and I'm not going to get to New Orleans anytime soon so that I
> > can be on site to rectify the situation.

> The Linux ifconfig command can change the MAC address of almost any
> NIC Ethernet card to any desired value, thus solving this tendency of
> DSL and Cable ISPs to limit service to a single MAC address.  I believe
> that the syntax is
>
>      ifconfig eth0 HWaddr xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx

Thanks for the ifconfig info.

Also:
I have not tried it, but an available firmware upgrade for my LinkSys DSL
router includes MAC "masquerading" to the value of your choice.

--
Regards -
 John Mills