[ale] XF86 on Compaq Armada 1700

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 31 10:32:03 EDT 2001

Fulton Green wrote:

> I have a ProStar 8260 laptop, which also has a C&T 65555 chip, as well as
> 4 MB VRAM and and built-in 1024x768x24-bit (XGA) color LCD. I found that in
> order for the video to work properly (in my case, work in better-than-8-bit
> color), I had to explictly specify the available VRAM in the "video card"
> section of the XF86 config file (I forget what the exact parameter is).
>
> And a quick heads-up ... as of a month-and-a-half ago, XFree86 4.01 isn't
> playing nicely with the 65555 chip.

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, adding the "VideoRam 2048" line
did not help. Also, it behaves exactly the same way using either 8 or
16bpp. So I think this is probably a physical limitation rather
than a software one :-( Oh well, now I can run with 32-bit color :-)

-- Joe

--
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald