[ale] Strange problem

Jason Lynn jason_lynn_ at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 30 13:13:49 EDT 2001

Background : Home Linux gateway / firewall has been working fine for the
last few months with Mediaone cable.

Problem : Yesterday, out of nowhere, I suddenly lost connection from my
windoze box (glorified email checker / gaming machine) on the network.  I
went to my router to find out the problem.  I pinged yahoo.com and was
getting through... but only about 30% of the packets succeeded.  From my
Windoze box, I changed the DNS entries to my ISP's DNS entries and my
connection was fine... no lost packets from what I can see.  It, of course,
seems to be a DNS issue... but what have I done wrong?  Linux box continues
to have about 70% errors, Windoze is working fine (since I changed DNS),
another Linux box on the network was also getting 70% errors EVEN with DNS
changed.  I stopped named on the gateway and changed DNS servers to my ISP's
servers, but STILL have the same problem.  I'm lost now... any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason