[ale] Earthlink DSL

rob hoppe hoppe at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 27 23:09:33 EDT 2001

"Transam at cavu.com" wrote:

> Eric_Brubakken at aoncons.com wrote:
>
> > DSL has finally came to my part of the world.  Both BellSouth and
> > Earthlink are offering service to my area at home.
>
> > I've been reading the threads here about DSL vs cable and static IP's
> > here lately.  I'm going to take the easy way out for now and go with
> > the static IP.  BellSouth offers a static IP for about $119 a month (
> > business ) and Earthlink offers static one for about $65 ( residential ).
> > Since money is a object here, I think I'll give Earthlink a try.
>
> > Does anyone have any experience with Earthlink ( aka Mindspring )
> > using PPPoe?  Would really like to hear both the good and the bad.
>
> As has been discussed here, the PPPoe costs about 20% of your bandwidth
> vs. other solutions over the same bandwidth-capable media.  On the other
> hand, it may be easier to configure.  (Alas, at 17,000 feet from my
> CO and having fiber in the way, I'm not a candidate for DSL and so must
> suffer with the [in my opinion] DREADFUL AT&T/MediaOne cable connection
> that goes out for a day or two at a time, forcing me to revert to
> MindSpring dialup.)
>
> > Thanks
>
> > Eric
>
> Bob

I have ADSL from Mindspring.  I am on a MINIRAM (small 8 port dslam) in a SLC
(service level cabinet) serviced by a Fiber Link from the CO (central office).
The MINIRAM provides a PPPoE connectioin to my house and the CO.  The signal from
the CO to Mindspring REDBACK Server is handled on an ATM circuit.  I am 5,000ft.
from the SLC and MINIRAM.  Downloads are very fast!

--
_/  Rob Hoppe