[ale] Secure FTP?

Frank Zamenski fzamenski at voyager.net
Thu Jul 26 21:39:08 EDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dan Newcombe" <Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu>
To: ale at ale.org
To: "ALE" <ale at ale.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 26, 2001 8:45 PM
Subject: Re: [ale] Secure FTP?

> On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, ducson wrote:
> > Why do you need both server side and client side to be secured?
>
> Because if the client side can't do SSL, then there is no chance of a
> secure connection happening, therefor everything will be done in plain
> text.
>
> > from my little understanding, if a user reaches a SSL web page then all
data
> > communication between the user ans server is encrypted. Is this right?
or
> > it's right with web page but wrong with ftp ?
>
> Sorta.  When you connect to a SSL web page, you are connecting to a web
> server that is setup to understand the SSL protocol.  However, you are
> connecting with a client (Netscape, IE) that is also setup to understand
> the SSL protocol, so it can talk to the server.

Using a browser for ftp seems to me the best way to go for supporting
one's external customers. As in: one wouldn't then have to. :)

On this same topic, can an https portal using something like Verisign
encryption accomplish the same task? Assuming of course, the portal is
set up for ftp.

I know this is getting OT, but it's interesting, and relates to something a
peer has in the works at work. (ssh and a secured ftp server). I've a
feeling
it's a headache in the making as the external ftp customers are not computer
savvy.

Thanks.
-fgz