[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Thu Jul 26 21:02:48 EDT 2001

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001, Jim Popovitch wrote:
> --- "Glenn C. Lasher Jr." <glasher at nycap.rr.com> wrote:
> > Static IP's are worth more money, even though they are easier to
> > implement.
> You're kidding right?  Ever manage multiple class C's of addresses
> where folks turn their computer off at night, or the really geeky ones
> decide to change their static IP w/o telling anyone?  DHCP is *MUCH*
> easier to roll out and maintain than static (no central management)
> ever could be.  Unless you are talking about 3 or 4 users.

Well, it's one less thing (DHCP) to go wrong.  How about the geeky ones
that decide to just nab a DHCP address and set it as a static?  Still a
pain in the ass.  And know where I've seen that happen the most?  Linux
users that would boot into windows, figure out an address, reboot into
Linux and set it cause they couldn't get DHCP to work under linux.

Ouch