[ale] [Fwd:Hear, hear, Sen. Schumer]

Andrew Newton lfs at eskimo.com
Wed Jul 25 16:11:27 EDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 25, 2001 at 03:44:03PM -0400, Pete Hardie wrote:

> The problem is that Kodak was working with MS during the development of the
> Kodak software, and suddenly the new Windows makes it very difficult to get
> to the Kodak software, at the saem time that MS has their own image processing
> software available.  It totally refutes the MS position that they can't abuse
> their OS monopoly to gain a position in another market.  It's not an issue of
> which software is better - if I choose to install Kodak, I should be able to
> run it without MS putting a wholly gratuitous barrier in my way.

I think it goes even further than that.  The MS software only shows links
to MS approved (meaning they paid MS to list them) image developing sites.

There was an article either on Wired or news.com where the Kodak guys are
interviewed.

I don't think MS is trying to get into the digital camera hardware biz,
but their on-line services arm would love a crack at the growing on-line
digital image processing market - a space in which Kodak (via Ofoto) is
a player.

--
- Andrew Newton
- lfs at eskimo.com