[ale] Secure FTP?

Marc marct at mindspring.com
Wed Jul 25 13:36:32 EDT 2001

On Wed, 25 Jul 2001, Joseph A. Knapka wrote:
> > It's been working OK, and I love Muddle and think it does a superior job
> > as an FTP daemon.  However, I'm  trying to do the Right Thing and
> > eliminate FTP from my machine altogether and only do file transfer thru
> > openSSH.   I know that there are a tiny handful of clients for Mac (non
> > osX) and I can find several decent looking ones for windows, so that's
> > one part of the battle won.

My suggestion would be to let people use what they want and try for port
redirection solutions.  On the PC checkout PuTTY, it is a SSH client that
(I think) will allow you to forward selected IP's or ports over the SSH
connection.  Search for this on tucows.

Another cross-platform possibility is MindTerm.  Mindterm is a Java applet
that can be launched from a web server, if you 'sign' the applet so it can
run outside of the jave 'security sanbox' it can do port forwarding and
v2.0 does sftp or scp (I think).  You can lookup mindterm on freshmeat,
there are a couple of versions on there, and since your planning to use it
with clients- make sure to use the GPLd version.

Just a thought,
--marct
marct at mindspring.com