[ale] [Fwd:Hear, hear, Sen. Schumer]

Alan Hightower alan at compgen.com
Wed Jul 25 00:11:16 EDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001, Wandered Inn wrote:

> "Senator targets Windows XP New York's Schumer calls new operating
> system 'anticompetitive' "  and wants a delay on shipping XP.
>
> See...
>
> http://cnnfn.cnn.com/2001/07/24/technology/microsoft/

OK, I'm definately not a MS advocate, but for once I'd have to side with
Bill on some of what the good Senator is arguing for:

"All customers, even those who specifically install the Kodak software
applications, are presented with the Microsoft application, scanner and
camera wizard, meaning additional steps are necessary for those consumers
to access the Kodak software," Schumer said.

The only reason Kodak spent time developing this software in the first
place was because the OS didn't provide it.  You can't tell me Kodak is a
software company.  I think having wizards that give you a uniform
interface to digital cameras, scanners and other A/V equipment is a good
thing.  The only reason the Senator is upset is AOL & Kodak saw this as
an excuse to take another shot at MS.  They pulled the Sentor's strings
because they employ a large number of his constituents.  If I were Kodak,
I'd gladly dump my investment in their dinky software - there is no
doubt in my mind they are loosing money on it as it stands.

What I am upset about is the way MS debuts some of these new
"features".  They typically develop a competing product that interfaces
with a new facility in their OS and don't release the OS until thier new
product is ready; giving the competitor little time to respond.

Just my $.02

--
Alan L. Hightower
Software Engineer