[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

aaron aaron at pd.org
Tue Jul 24 10:41:14 EDT 2001

Previously, rob hoppe typed into the ether:
> aaron wrote:
> > Previously, Jay Finch typed into the ether:
[snip]
> > > I just got a notice from BellSouth that I'm (finally!) eligible
> > > for DSL service.
> >
> > You may want to try to find out exactly how far you are from the
> > "Central Office" connection. Distance to the C.O. does have a big effect
> > on throughput and reliability.
[snip]

> I have ADSL and I am 36,000 feet from the CO.

Interesting.

> I have a MINIRAM in my SLC in the field.

...and we all know how painful THAT can be! ;-)
Perhaps more detail than we needed...

> I am on fiber to the SLC from the C.O. so distance didn't matter.

... and the SLC acronym would be referring to Salt Lake City ??
I guess distance really doesn't matter! ;-)

> The MINIRAM allows or replicates a DSLAM.  A MINIRAM has 8 ADSL ports
> on a ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode) setup to the ISP (Mindspring -
> Earthlink).  I am 5,000? feet from the MINIRAM.  My ADSL works fine
> and quick!

Great! So how do I get B.S. to DSALM a MINIRAM in my SLC ISP loop??
(Without a major investment in lingerie, that is.) :-)

Seriously, I found it was a major challenge just getting B.S. to fess up
my distance to the C.O., let alone explain the rest of the
connectons and eqipment up the line. (They are good at using the
non-B.S. ISP intermediary as a stonewall, too.)

On the first phone line I tried to have provisioned with DSL, it was
months of back and forth between ISP and BellSouth before B.S. finally
admitted that the problems were in their wire. Of course, they simply
refused to provision the line rather than attempt to fix it or bring it
up to spec. The fact that they were able to successfully provision a
second wire into the same location proves that it *should* have worked
the first time. (And now I'm hoping line #3 will be the charm...)

I am not discounting Rob's input here, because it *is* interesting to
learn that a fiber link to an area SLC changes the C.O. distance formula
and it is cool that the MINIRAM multiplexor works well for him and all.
But can anyone offer any insight on how the *rest* of us might petition
BellSouth to fix their lines or upgrade antiquated equipment or run
fiber to their SLC ??  I don't see where even first party consumers
have input to the process, let alone third party customers with a
free market ISP in the middle. Is there even a practical way to find out
how my lines are connected at present or get a straight answer as to why
they aren't working properly ??

...or should I just give up and start looking for that Victoria's Secret
catalogue? (I'm sure it's around here *somewhere*).
:-)

peace
(after justice)
aaron