[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

SAngell at nan.net SAngell at nan.net
Tue Jul 24 08:37:16 EDT 2001

I have been pleased with my ADSL service with Bellsouth for the most part. I get
transfers speeds of 1.479M since the day I installed it. At first I had a lot of
outages but over the past year it has become very reliable. I have no experience
with cable but in talking to co-workers I would believe that, on average, I get
faster transfers than those who have cable modems. There is of course the
execption of taying up till 4am and getting mega transfer rates, but lets be
realistic. The only complaint I have with Bellsouth is no static IP's which
leads to the next part of the discussion.

As far as DHCP is concerned it is all relevant to the settings imposed by the
owner of the DHCP server. The lease on the ip addresses can be set to any number
of time frames to expire. I do know with NT at least that the lease is renewed
at 50% of the lease. In other words if the lease is good for 10 days then the
client would be prompted to renew that lease after having it for 5 days. If the
lease was not renewed it would try again at 75% and then again one more time but
I forget the interval. If the lease is not renewed within the 10 day time frame
then it would be placed back into the pool of available addresses. I have mine
here set for 10 days as almost no one is out of the office for more than 10 days
so they keep the same address indefinatly. This can also be set to renew the
lease each time a user connects.

Steve Angell,  MCSE, CCNA
MIS Operations Manager
TSYS Total Debt Management
Phone 770-409-5570
Fax      770-416-1752

|--------+---------------------------->
|        |          Wandered Inn      |
|        |          <esoteric at denali.a|
|        |          tlnet.com>        |
|        |                            |
|        |          07/24/01 06:54 AM |
|        |                            |
|--------+---------------------------->
  >--------------------------------------------------------|
  |      To:     ALE <ale at ale.org>                         |
  |      cc:     (bcc: Steve Angell/tdm)                   |
  |      Subject:     Re: [ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable |
  |       versus DSL                                       |

Dan Newcombe wrote:

> On Mon, 23 Jul 2001, Wandered Inn wrote:
> > > in Charlotte, don't know about other places. Unless things have changed,
> > > you get a static ip assigned by DHCP. They seem to be pretty OS neutral,
> > > and customer service does want to help.
> > Say again? DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol???)
>
> So?
>  a) when you get an ip address, the server stores your MAC.  Next time
> you request an address, it looks to see if it has serviced you before.  If
> it finds your MAC in it's tables, and that IP is still open, it gives it
> back to you.

If, it's still available.  I personally do not know how it works, just
what I've read from the HOWTO.  If this is accurate, I would say the
HOWTO is a bit misleading, as I would not call the process you've
indicated above as 'random.'

>  b) You can setup DHCP so that a certain MAC is always given a certian IP
> address.  That way all the clients are set to use DHCP for their settings,
> and if something needs a static IP, it gets a known IP assigned to it,
> with the added bonus that if you change a dns server, wins server or
> something, you only make that change at one place and DHCP "distributes"
> it.

Understood, but I would be surprised if the isps are providing fixed
ips, as (at least BellSouth) claims that this is part of a security
issue.  If your ip is not static, then it's harder for a hacker to find
you multiple times.

Until later: Geoffrey         esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein