[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Tue Jul 24 06:50:52 EDT 2001

Jim Popovitch wrote:

> --- Wandered Inn <esoteric at denali.atlnet.com> wrote:
> >
> > Say again? DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol???)
> >
> [snip]
> >
> > And you've had the same IP from the beginning?
> >

> One of the biggest myths about DHCP is that you get a different address
> everytime you refresh.  I have moved (1.2) miles and kept the same
> dynamically assigned IP address.  DHCP IP addresses are allocated and
> tracked by MAC addresses.  Changing a NIC or your Cable/DSL router will
> cause you to get a new address, as could rebooting/restarting the DHCP
> server on the providers end.

Not totally accurate.  You can specify specific IP for a host, but you
can also set it up as random.  My point is that certainly the isp has
not told anyone that they do assign specific IPs.  My guess is that they
must be doing it by MAC since, I would expect that chance of getting the
same IP would be slim.

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein