[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Jay Finch retief at larp.com
Tue Jul 24 00:55:01 EDT 2001

Awesome feedback, y'all... I have been checking the sites and here's
something interesting I found out:

Telocity/DirecTV DSL - Requires no contract, just return the DSL router,
Static IP. $49/mo
Bellsouth - Requires no contract, return the DSL router if <1 year, Dynamic
IP. $45-$49/mo
Mindspring/Earthlink - Requires 1 year contract ($150 if broken), keep
router, Static IP. $65/mo
Gwinnett.com (Atlnet) - Requires 1 year contract, $250 install, they own
router, Static IP. $65/mo

I think I might try out either Telocity/DirecTV DSL (which claims they
can't service me) or Bellsouth for a month and see what kind of speed I
get.  I'm about 21,000 ft from the CO, which is 15,000 ft closer than I
used to be.  (I'm guess that they finally upgraded the box outside my
subdivision.  They've been running cable & working out there for the past
6+ months...)

Any more feedback?  Any "gotchas" to keep an eye out for?

Cheers!
Jay