[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Jim Popovitch jimpop at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 23 23:48:34 EDT 2001

--- Wandered Inn <esoteric at denali.atlnet.com> wrote:

> Say again? DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol???)

[snip]

> And you've had the same IP from the beginning?

One of the biggest myths about DHCP is that you get a different address
everytime you refresh.  I have moved (1.2) miles and kept the same
dynamically assigned IP address.  DHCP IP addresses are allocated and
tracked by MAC addresses.  Changing a NIC or your Cable/DSL router will
cause you to get a new address, as could rebooting/restarting the DHCP
server on the providers end.

-Jim P.