[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Jeff Hubbs jhubbs at telocity.com
Mon Jul 23 23:26:50 EDT 2001

I have been using Telocity for about a year now, and my experience has
been about as good as anybody could hope for.  Every so often - maybe a
couple times a month, on average) - I have to cycle the DSL modem
(interestingly, one time, I actually had to recycle my 4-way-plus-uplink
10/100 switch to get things working).  Rarer still are the times when
something on their end hoses up, but things get set right in a few hours
when it does.  I am pretty close to a CO, and I can get 1.3Mb/s coming
down; this may or may not be limited by my 486DX/33 NAT firewall.

I had to do very, very little w.r.t. the DSL modem in order to get
things going under Linux.  Once I figured out how to get the firewall
going, the DSL modem reacted very predictably and issuelessly.

I kind of dread the idea of moving because when I do, I have no
expectation that I'll be in this good a shape w.r.t. broadband Internet
connectivity.  I'm not looking forward to the "Sure, I use Windows!"
fake-out that so many of you have had to do in order to get service
started.

- Jeff