[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 23 18:50:11 EDT 2001

Leonard Thornton wrote:

> First question:  Which variety of DSL?  ADSL, SDSL or IDSL?  The answer to
> this question will determine the results of your throughput questions.  If
> it is IDSL (re-tariffed ISDN), run away.....
>
> I have AT&T Broadband (spits on the ground....)...  It only took them 4
> months to finally get it to stay up longer than 4 hours at a time.  I was
> promised a credit for my crappy service during that period......yeah,
> right.....
>
> My take on this whole thing is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  From what
> I hear you saying, you are reasonably happy with what you have right
> now.  Speed is acceptable, price is acceptable, and you have the features
> you want.  Unless there is a VERY compelling reason to switch (Must better
> price, much better speed, much better service...oh, what AM I
> thinking?????), I would suggest you leave things as they are.
>
> My two cents and well worth what you paid for it.....

Another pretty good reason to move to (fast) DSL is that cable often
has an AUP that prohibits running any kind of services on the
connection, and DSL is usually "anything goes". Personally I find this
very frustrating, I'd really like to host my own web site, but I have
no DSL options where I live :-(

My sample of cable providers for this opinion is 2: Charter Pipeline
in Troup County, and TW-RoadRunner in El Paso. Both AUP's were
essentially identical.

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
2nd Lbl A + 1 = 2nd Pause 2nd Prt GTO 2 R/S