[ale] Re-send: Opinions on Cable versus DSL

Leonard Thornton Leonard at Intelis-inc.net
Mon Jul 23 17:25:01 EDT 2001

First question:  Which variety of DSL?  ADSL, SDSL or IDSL?  The answer to
this question will determine the results of your throughput questions.  If
it is IDSL (re-tariffed ISDN), run away.....

I have AT&T Broadband (spits on the ground....)...  It only took them 4
months to finally get it to stay up longer than 4 hours at a time.  I was
promised a credit for my crappy service during that period......yeah,
right.....

My take on this whole thing is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  From what
I hear you saying, you are reasonably happy with what you have right
now.  Speed is acceptable, price is acceptable, and you have the features
you want.  Unless there is a VERY compelling reason to switch (Must better
price, much better speed, much better service...oh, what AM I
thinking?????), I would suggest you leave things as they are.

My two cents and well worth what you paid for it.....

At 04:40 PM 7/23/2001 -0400, Jay Finch wrote:
>Hey everyone,
>
>I know this question has been asked a million and one times, but being that
>the technology has changed so much in the past few months and I'm only now
>becoming concerned with it, I wanted some opinions.
>
>I've been a Charter Comm. Cable Modem subscriber for about 3 years now, and
>have had pretty good service.  It's been fairly peppy, but I hate how it
>goes down when it rains (without fail) and other weird routing and downtime
>issues.  I just got a notice from BellSouth that I'm (finally!) eligible
>for DSL service.
>
>What I want to know is this: How reliable is DSL vs. Cable?  What about the
>speeds?  (I generally get 1.5MB download and 128k upload on Cable fairly
>consistently, depending on I-net traffic.)
>
>Additionally, I'm using a Linux box as my firewall/gateway, and I have a
>Static IP with Charter right now.  I know that Mindspring & Bellsouth both
>use PPPoE with DHCP as a standard, but Mindspring offers a Static IP for
>$15 extra a month.
>
>I want a static IP.  From y'alls experience: Do Mindspring and Bellsouth
>refresh their IPs often enough to warrant asking for a static one?  (I have
>several DNS mappings to my home machine right now.)
>
>And finally, I know that neither "support" Linux -- I know my stuff fairly
>well in getting a box configured, but how much of a bear is it to configure
>for DSL vs. Cable?  (And is there a "better" DSL ISP for Linux? I'm trying
>to keep my costs around $50-$60/month, which is what I'm paying for my
>Cable Modem right now.)
>
>Thanks in advance for y'alls help.  :~)
>
>Cheers!
>Jay
>

>--
>body.

The difficult while you wait.....the impossible overnight.

Leonard Thornton
Intelis, Inc.
5960 Crooked Creek Rd
Suite 30
Norcross, GA  30092

Office: 770.825.0032
Fax:            770.825.0028
Cellular:       404.583.5402
Pager:          888.785.9188
Email:          Leonard at Intelis-Inc.net