[ale] URGENT SECURITY ADVISORY FOR SSH SECURE SHELL 3.0.0 (fwd)

Jonathan Rickman jonathan at xcorps.net
Fri Jul 20 21:38:56 EDT 2001

Should have read further...

Some stock machines which have default locked accounts
running SSH Secure Shell 3.0 are vulnerable to
arbitrary logins.  This is a serious problem with
Solaris, for example, which uses the sequence "NP" to
indicate locked administrative accounts such as "lp",
"adm", "bin" etc.  Some Linux machines which have
accounts with !! in the etc/passwd or /etc/shadow such
as xfs or gdm are also vulnerable. Since it is relatively
easy to become root after gaining access to certain
accounts, we consider this a potential root exploit.

--
Jonathan Rickman
X Corps Security