[ale] Re: 1/3 full disk, but it is full?

hirsch at zapmedia.com hirsch at zapmedia.com
Thu Jul 19 12:02:47 EDT 2001

Thanks for everyones suggestions on this problem.  Unfortunately, or
maybe fortunately, I went on vacation the day after the problem
arose.  In my absence we've found out:

If a thread has a file descriptor open and the file is removed, but
the thread does not exit cleanly, the filenam is gone from the
filesystem, but the the disk space is not released.  This is true at
least in reiserfs, and maybe in other fses, too.

Our application was creating large temporary files, then deleting
them, but not successfully ending the thread, so we gradually lost
room on our filesystem.

--Michael