[ale] New server setup

Jeff Hubbs Jhubbs at niit.com
Thu Jul 19 10:12:10 EDT 2001

Dan -

I have a Dell PowerEdge 2450 here with RH 6.2 on it.  It's similar to the
one you're getting.  At the time, I had to go thru some #@$(*& to get Dell's
binary-only driver for the PERC/3si controller installed (I understand it's
folded into RH7.1 now), but once that was done, I was thrilled with the RAID
controller - it has another layer of abstraction to it that lets you build
multiple RAID volumes, each with its own level, using the same set of
physical disks.  It's not something you'd want to take advantage of if
you're trying to go for speed, speed, speed but it does allow you do pull
some performance *improving* (as opposed to maximizing) by using different
volumes of different RAID types for different things.  For instance, on this
machine with four physical drives, which is primarily a file server, I put
the swap partition on a RAID 10 (or is it 0+1) volume while the /home
partition is a RAID 5 volume.

The gotcha here is that you have to keep in mind that with things set up
like this, the RAID 10 volume and the RAID 5 volume are sharing the same
sets of heads, so there are going to be operational regimes where you can
feel pain from having done this.  It turns out that, since this became first
and foremost a file server, I needn't have bothered with the RAID 10 volume
for swap.  Its RAM mostly goes for cache.

I tell you, ever since I first started working with file servers c. 1989
(Banyan VINES!), it's just been amazing to me what a nice, fast, capacious
file server on a good network can do for an organization.  Of course, now,
I'm thinking more in terms of serving up OSses for diskless PCs and
distributed file systems than I am the simple
map-a-drive-letter-to-a-"home"-directory, but even that latter facility does
amazing stuff for people.

- Jeff

This electronic mail transmission contains confidential information intended
only for the person(s) named.  Any use, distribution, copying or disclosure
by any other person is strictly prohibited. If you received this
transmission in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and then
destroy the message.  Opinions, conclusions, and other information in this
message that do not relate to the official business of NIIT shall be
understood to be neither given nor endorsed by NIIT. When addressed to NIIT
clients, any information contained in this e-mail is subject to the terms
and conditions in the governing client contract.