[ale] OT - MSIS at Kennesaw (or anywhere for that matter)

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Wed Jul 18 22:31:54 EDT 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, John Wells wrote:
> But, I already have the *management* crap out of the
> way and it left a bad taste in my mouth, so I was
> looking for a more technical approach to follow my
> true love.

Well, as most places will tell you, they like to create well rounded
students because that is what employers want.  Sure, you may be able to
code circles around everything else, but if you don't know how to
accuratly estimate timelines, work with others, not tell your boss to piss
off, then you're not gonna be a valuable employee to them in the long run.

> If it's the case that most Masters programs target the
> management side of things....I might have to just give
> in and go for the BA.

I guess it would vary from case to case.  Marist College, where I went for
BS, had a masters in Software Development.  Look at
http://www.marist.edu/graduate/sd.html, which is the URL for the program.
It is still pretty much the same as 8 years ago, and has some hardcore
stuff in there.  (Though the networks course (for those keeping track,
that makes 6 courses that I had, another one where the undergrad and grad
work was the same) was mostly stuff like determining how fast electrons
moved, so if you had point a and b at x feet apart, and a repeater and x%
network traffic, how long would a packet take to get there.  Would think
it was a EE).

Anyway, while they mention on there about how the programs are in the
evenings, I think the commute to Poughkeepsie, NY would bite!