[ale] New server setup

Ken Nagorski kenn at pcintelligent.com
Wed Jul 18 13:55:46 EDT 2001

Hi there,

	I like to build my own binary's however if redhat will give you
rpms of everything you need then I would go that route. I SSL and other
things can be a pain in the you know what for someine who doesn't have a
whole lotta expreience building src. I am not sure where you stand.

	I will say for redhat however, they do have a nice sendmail.cf and
you never have to play with that much so I always go that route when doing
a mail server...

Just my two cents!
Ken

 On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, Gary MacKay wrote:

> I'm setting up a new server that I plan to host several domains (web and
> mail) on. What is the prefered method of install? What I mean is, should
> I stick to the rpm's or custom compile all software? Yes, I'm using
> RedHat 7.1, (forget the flames, etc.), because the question applies to
> any distro I think. Should I use the standard package manager (ie. rpm,
> pkg_add, whatever) or compile from source?
>
>    Software info:
> RedHat 7.1
> Apache
> MySql
> PHP
> OpenSSL
> PostGreSql
> Qmail
> Courier-imap
>
>    Hardware info:
>
> HP e800 PIII 866
> 640mg ram
> 9.1gig SCSI (/dev/sda)
> 18gig SCSI  (/dev/sdb)

> /dev/sda6             985M   58M  877M   7% /
> /dev/sda1              20M  4.0M   15M  21% /boot
> /dev/sda7             4.4G  2.3M  4.1G   1% /home
> /dev/sda5             3.0G  1.3G  1.5G  44% /usr
> /dev/sdb5              16G   37M   15G   1% /var
> /dev/hda              641M  642M     0 100% /mnt/cdrom
>
> Note: No shell accounts, just pop3 and www.
>
> - Gary

IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual addressee(s)
named above and may contain information that is confidential, privileged
or unsuitable for overly sensitive persons with low self-esteem, no sense
of humour or irrational religious beliefs. If you are not the intended
recipient, any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email is not
authorised (either explicitly or implicitly) and constitutes an irritating
social faux pas.

Unless the word absquatulation has been used in its correct context somewhere
other than in this warning, it does not have any legal or no grammatical use
and may be ignored. No animals were harmed in the transmission of this email,
although the kelpie next door is living on borrowed time, let me tell you.
Those of you with an overwhelming fear of the unknown will be gratified to
learn that there is no hidden message revealed by reading this warning
 backwards, so just ignore that Alert Notice from Microsoft.

However, by pouring a complete circle of salt around yourself and your
computer you can ensure that no harm befalls you and your pets. If you
have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg and egg whites,
whisk and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.