[ale] OT - MSIS at Kennesaw (or anywhere for that matter)

Dan Newcombe Newcombe at mordor.clayton.edu
Wed Jul 18 11:15:31 EDT 2001

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, John Wells wrote:
> My only concern is that the curriculum looks more
> focused on management than on technology, which is not
> what I want.  I'm a programmer by trade, but do not
> have a bachelor's in CS and want to participate in a
> very technical program.

Well, first off, ths MSIS is a Masters program - I don't know about
Kennesaw, but don't schools usually want a bachelors degree to let you
enroll in a Masters level program?

 Also, IS (Information Systems) programs tend to be more heavy into the
management and business side of things.   It's more about how to meet with
a client, determine needs, come up with how much it'll cost, how long
it'll take...etc... More planning. They then go back (unless they are
really good) to the "CS" people and say
"We need to have MS Office running on Xenix for this client.  Since they
are both MS products it shouldn't be a problem.  And it needs to be done
by Tuesday, running on that old Mac." :)
(*note to IS people: I'm joking.  Most of the IS people I knew in school
were good folks.)

> The thing I like about Kennesaw is that they try to
> facilitate class for the working student (nights and
> weekends).

I would think that any school that did not would not be long for this
world.