[ale] Linux in libraries (a heads-up for June 2002)

Ben Ostrowsky ostrowb at tblc.org
Wed Jul 18 09:36:11 EDT 2001

>Interesting.  I just moved to Atlanta from the University of Florida.

Don't look now, but you're not the only Gator on the list.

http://purl.fcla.edu/fcla/webluis

>Yet, within the library were many terminals running a text based UI to do
>queries.

Probably tn3270 to the mainframe, unless things have changed significantly.

>That would be one big ass DB though.

Indeed.  The SUNLINE system, the one I work with, is ten independent
libraries who just happen to share a server (but who also cooperate
extensively as autonomous entities).  We've got on the order of half a
million bibliographic records, and a higher number of item records.  (An
item is an instance of a bibliographic record, such as "this particular
copy of the Camel book" as opposed to that general edition of it.)

Ben