[ale] Linux in libraries (a heads-up for June 2002)

Ben Ostrowsky ostrowb at tblc.org
Tue Jul 17 17:02:46 EDT 2001

Hi folks --

I'm a librarian.  Libraries are, sadly, highly dependent on proprietary
software for most of their needs.  There is a growing movement for
Free/Open Source software that would be useful to public libraries,
academic libraries, etc.

This is relevant to ALE in that next year's American Library Association
conference will be in Atlanta, June 13-19, 2002.

I am attempting to herd some cats in the direction of a booth at the ALA
2002 show at which we could hand out various distros on CD-ROM, do some
basic advocacy among librarians, and show them the Free and Open Source
software that librarians can use.

This is just a heads-up to let you know that I'd like to work with ALE on
this, if any of you would be interested.  Anyone who can handle the Linux
Showcase and survive has my instant respect.

Regards,
Ben Ostrowsky
Tampa Bay Library Consortium