[ale] Language Jihad!

Wandered Inn esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
Mon Jul 16 20:56:34 EDT 2001

Fulton Green wrote:

> It probably depends on your prior language experience. C++ would obviously be
> easier for someone coming from Java than from, say, Perl. And having
> personally made the transition to C++ directly from C, I didn't find the
> language itself to be all that hard; it was applying the object-oriented
> constructs properly within the language that took me a while to fully get a
> grasp on.

My transition was from C to C++ as well.  I didn't find it difficult,
but I found it frustrating to do so much bloody work to set up all these
classes before you actually do any 'real' coding.  I find novice
programmers as well as seasoned ones have a harder time grasping the OO
paradigm, and that is what I believe makes the learning curve steeper.

I wouldn't necessary agree with the Java/Perl comparison, as you can
write OO perl as well, particularily if you're using the html generating
modules (the name escapes me at this time).

Until later: Geoffrey		esoteric at denali.atlnet.com

The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
intelligence." - Albert Einstein