[ale] Language Jihad!

Leonard Thornton Leonard at Intelis-inc.net
Mon Jul 16 17:00:00 EDT 2001

At 04:40 PM 7/16/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>To do C++ right, requires a huge amount of setup.  It's worse than
>cobol.  You've got to create all your classes properly.  Now, to take
>advantage of this, you must reuse code.

I agree that C++ is something that becomes far more efficient and effective
over time...

>No one writes C++ properly, no one reuses code.  Personal experience.

I beg to differ with you, but I have a number of commercial products
running telephone switches for major carriers that have all been built with
reusable C++ objects.  We regularly derive from and extend these objects
for particular needs and have literally saved man-years by using C++
instead of C.  We develop new products in 6 weeks that our competitors
cannot do in 1 year and the main reason for this is our reusable code base
of C++ objects.  Yes, it has taken us 3 years to build this base of objects
but we are now reaping the reqards in spades.

>What do I think is better than C++?  I prefer C.  I use other languages
>as well, but when it comes to the things I'd write in C++, I'd use C.

I like C, but I sure as hell would not want to maintain the systems I have
out right now if I had to do it in C code.  C is great for small standalone
projects, but rapidly turns into spaghetti when implemented in very large
scale, multi developer systems.

YMMV...

>--
>Until later: Geoffrey           esoteric at denali.atlnet.com
>
>"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds.
>The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit
>to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his
>intelligence." - Albert Einstein
>--
>body.

The difficult while you wait.....the impossible overnight.

Leonard Thornton
Intelis, Inc.
5960 Crooked Creek Rd
Suite 30
Norcross, GA  30092

Office: 770.825.0032
Fax:            770.825.0028
Cellular:       404.583.5402
Pager:          888.785.9188
Email:          Leonard at Intelis-Inc.net