[ale] pls sanity check my article

Casey Allen Shobe cshobe at softhome.net
Mon Jul 16 15:36:31 EDT 2001

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Jeff Hubbs wrote:
> I can confirm that an ISA/VL bus 486DX/33 with two ISA NICs can NAT firewall
> at 1.3Kb/s incoming.  I do not know if the machine in question was the
> limiting factor.  A PCI, MCA, or EISA 486 might be able to do better if you
> can find the proper NICs.  Were there ever VL NICs?  Were there any machines
> with more than one slot (or built-in VL NIC with one available VL slot?

I used to have an AMD 5x86 120MHz (which was really a 486).  The motherboard I
used with it had 3 VLB slots.  I later upgraded to a motherboard for the same
CPU that had 2 VLB and 3 or 4 PCI.

> Other ideas you may not have mentioned:

Oh!  Let us not forget multi-platform fileserver!

At a friend's house downtown, I use a linux machine for many purposes.  It's
just a P166.  It functions as the following:

* Appletalk file/print server
* Windows Networking file/print server
* NFS file server
* Internet gateway&firewall

Now, the file shares.

There's a dedicated windows share, where copies of install CDs are kept.  Then
there's a dedicated appletalk share, for the apple stuff.  Then there's a linux
share for linux downloads and so forth.  Then, most importantly, there is the
mp3 share, which is an NFS share, a Samba share, *AND* an appletalk share, and
also another common share, for documents and such.  It's the perfect way to
share files between various platforms.

It's also the perfect way to share (a) printer(s) between different operating
systems.  Did I mention that samba supports automagic transfer of windows
drivers?  You can set it up so that when you add a network printer in windows,
the drivers are sent from the server, just like a Windows NT server setup to do
such.

--
Casey Allen Shobe
cshobe at softhome.net