[ale] pls sanity check my article

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 16 13:07:38 EDT 2001

Jonathan Rickman wrote:

> On the old hardware note...
>
> A Sun Sparcstation 2 makes a great firewall box. They can be picked up
> pretty cheap on eBay. I just bought 6. 3 147's 3 147b's for < $30.
> I had one a few years back, and it was pretty tough getting parts for it.
> Lately, there seems to be an abundance of them.

Wow, they are dirt cheap. I'm really interested in the possibility
of moving my firewall to a Sparc, running Linux or OBSD, but I
have a couple of questions:

What additional hardware would one need in order to get one of these
puppies on the network? They have AUI ports on them for Ethernet;
are the widgets that convert AUI to RJ45 just adapters, or are
they actual transceivers for which you need appropriate drivers,
etc?

Do all Sparc 2s have two Ethernet ports? The descriptions on
eBay often leave a lot to be desired.

Is there a way to convert the Sun video output to use a
regular RGB monitor?

Thanks,

-- Joe

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *