[ale] Language Jihad!

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 15 15:07:59 EDT 2001

"Transam at cavu.com" wrote:

> If you want to go more hardcore, Java is the hot thing.  Alternatively,
> for writing servers, large applications, and system programming I'd suggest
> C.  I realize that I'm in the minority in thinking that C++ is junk that
> should be vaporized when the powers that be also vaporize other evil such
> as M$.

80% of the code I write is C++, and I'd have to second that opinion >-]
It's the Perl of low-level languages: bulky, often counterintuitive, and
a lot too complicated for one person to learn thoroughly without
inordinate effort. And to be honest, I don't think Java is much better.
It's more regular and sensible than C++ or Perl, but having written
quite a bit of Java code, I don't find it to be much of a win
in terms of productivity. (It's possible the huge and complex
development environment I'm compelled to use for the bulk of my
Java work has had some influence on my opinion.) It definitely does
have the "bandwagon factor" in its favor, though.

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *