[ale] nfs oddities

Transam@cavu.com transam at cavu.com
Sun Jul 15 13:44:00 EDT 2001

"Robert L. Harris" <Robert.L.Harris at rdlg.net> wrote:
> I've exported some disks on one linux box running 2.4.4 as well as 2.4.6.
> On a sun box I do this:

I hope that your firewall is blocking access to portmap, NFS, etc. from
the Internet.  Crackers' most common way of breaking into Unix/Linux boxes
with these running is via NFS & friends.

If there is any chance that any other system on your LAN (e.g. Winbloz)
could be compromized and then used to attack you, have your NFS network
be physically separate or on a VPN over the existing network.

> [413]root at db10.wc1p-/> showmount -e vampire.lsv
> showmount: vampire.lsv: RPC: Program not registered

> portmap is installed and running:

> {0}:vampire:/home/rharris>ps -eaf | grep -i port
> daemon      77     1  0 Jul07 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/portmap

> Gonna drive me nutz...

> :wq!
> Robert L. Harris                |  Micros~1 :
> Senior System Engineer          |    For when quality, reliability
>   at RnD Consulting             |      and security just aren't

Bob Toxen
transam at cavu.com                       [Bob's ALE Bulk email]
bob at cavu.com
http://www.cavu.com
http://www.realworldlinuxsecurity.com/ [My book: "Real World Linux Security"]
Fly-By-Day Consulting, Inc.      "Don't go with a fly-by-night outfit!"
Quality Linux & UNIX security and software consulting since 1990.