[ale] digital camera with linux software?

Marc marct at mindspring.com
Fri Jul 13 13:50:50 EDT 2001

On Fri, 13 Jul 2001, Christopher Bergeron wrote:
> I am considering purchasing a digital camera, and I'd like to find one that
> will allow me to use linux to download the pr0n^H^H^H^Hpictures from.  Does
> anyone know of such a beast?

I have a Kodak DC290 and love it.  Both the Serial and USB modes are well
supported in linux (the kernel USB maintainer owns a DC260 :)

It takes good pictures in almost any light, has a good zoom and is very
programmable (the DC series has a scripting language).  It has a
multi-picture time lapse mode that is adjustable from tenths of a second
to ??, I use that to make animated GIFs of auto races- pretty cool.

One of the many scripts availible makes HTML pages form all the pictures
on the compact flash complete with a nav bar of thumbnails on the page.
Compact flash gets cheeper every day and USB dongles make them look like
disk to your computer.

Very neat toy.
--marct
marct at mindspring.com