[ale] Locking up when shutdown

Joseph A. Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 13 11:21:46 EDT 2001

Michael Smith wrote:

>         I am randomly(maybe a bad word but for no other) hanging when
> shutting down Redhat 7.1.  I seem to hang on the quotas part of the
> shutdown.  I, then, have to do a hard reboot......then I have to go thru
> fsck manually(ugh..)  Any ideas on why quotas would hang.  I am about to
> rebuild but I would like to know if I have other hardware issues.  The
> machine has been up and running without problem for 2 months and the only
> thing done to the machine was a memory upgrade.  Any chance the additional
> memory could affect quotas?  Any ideas....  Nothing stands out in the logs.
>
> Michael Smith
> msmith at webtonetech.com

On machines with a lot of swap space, shutdown can hang for
long periods of time while attempting to deactivate the swap
partition(s). It will eventually recover, but with, say, 1GB
of swap the "lockup" can last 10 minutes or more. Maybe this
is relevant to your situation? I believe the problem is
fixed in late 2.4.5 kernels, and definitely in 2.6.

-- Joe Knapka
"You know how many remote castles there are along the gorges? You
 can't MOVE for remote castles!" -- Lu Tze re. Uberwald
// Linux MM Documentation in progress:
// http://home.earthlink.net/~jknapka/linux-mm/vmoutline.html
* Evolution is an "unproven theory" in the same sense that gravity is. *