[ale] Compaq Reliant web server

Bao C. Ha baoha at sensoria.com
Thu Jul 12 14:19:30 EDT 2001

Of course, you are correct, from a bean counter's point of
view.

I am viewing it differently, however.  There was already an
installed base of computer equipment.  There is a constant
flow of equipments to be upgraded all the time.  This is
a company with 25,000 people in one location.  And, there
was also a hand-down process to reuse equipment.  Although,
computer equipment is usually written off after five years,
their useful lives are longer than that.  I can sit down
with a bean counter to show that it makes sense to manage
the computer procurement better by buying it than to lease
it.

In business, we do use leased equipments.  It sometimes makes
sense with high-end capital equipments.

Bao