[ale] Compaq Reliant web server

Bao C. Ha baoha at sensoria.com
Thu Jul 12 13:22:13 EDT 2001

No!  It is Microsoft's propoganda.

I used to work for a big "nameless" company who had
Intel, Macintosh, Unixes, Vax, ...  They decided to
go WinIntel all the ways.  I think it costs more,
but like an manager who is worth his salt.  The cost
showed up on other department's budgets.

The mail system was moved from Vax-based All-in-One
to ccMail, which ran on OS/2 and Novell.  They could
not even get the WinNT up and reliable enough to
replace those Intel machines.

I worked in the R&D where many of scientists/engineers
used the Mac.  Just imagine the shocks and productivity
drops when these "senior" guys had to learn new computer
techniques.

All of the computers are replaced by leased ones.  The
3 year-leases cost more than just to buy the computers
outright.

Unfortunately, your tax-payer money is paying for these
mis-management mistakes, which actually showed up as
progresses.  This was an IT department which rebooted
Unix servers at least once a week to fix a memory leak
problem.

On the other hands, the IT boom of the 90's made it
awfully hard to find good people who can put up with
the politics of running an IT department.

Bao