[ale] Compaq Reliant web server

Armsby John-G16665 John.Armsby at motorola.com
Thu Jul 12 11:19:46 EDT 2001

figured I could have Christmas early.  I know the machine is basically
sucking electricity.  If Red Hat sees the cpu's it looks like a plug and
play dual system sucker!
<SPAN
class=768431815-12072001>
<SPAN
class=768431815-12072001>John
<SPAN
class=768431815-12072001>

  <FONT face="Times New Roman"
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Jeff Hubbs
  [mailto:Jhubbs at niit.com]Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2001 10:44
  AMTo: Armsby John-G16665; 'ale at ale.org'Subject: RE:
  [ale] Compaq Reliant web server
  John
  -
  <SPAN
  class=538232713-12072001>
  The
  strongly-held opinion I have formed over the years is that no multi-processor
  box should be bought without all CPU sockets fully populated.  You're
  paying extra (especially if you go with "name" vendors like Compaq) just to
  have even a 2-CPU system, but every day that it goes with one or more CPU
  slots empty represents lost value, i.e., you are not getting any returned
  "power" for the money you spent.  The "you can always add CPUs later"
  argument is always trotted out but in practice, that's often not possible
  without also replacing the original CPU(s) simply because duplicates are no
  longer available.  Even at that, I've encountered people whose
  newly-SMPed machine never worked quite right again until two CPUs of
  the same speed, stepping, and revision were used.  The oringinal CPU(s)
  displaced then go on to represent unreturned value unless and until more money
  is spent to put a machine around them.
  <SPAN
  class=538232713-12072001>
  What
  Joe Knapka said about the 32MB P/133 isn't a joke.  For 2000 hits/day =
  43.2 seconds/hit, a 486DX would do unless it's too slow for you to do
  admin-type things like tar/zip a bunch of files.  It surprises me about
  how miscalibrated people can be about how much machine it takes to do a given
  thing.  A few months ago, I was testing out a Web server configuration
  using Rational SiteLoad, and for the heck of it I aimed it at a P/200 running
  Zope, with a user script that just pulled out a lot of static content (no
  DB).  The 512MB PIII/667 that I was running SIteLoad on started to get in
  to the weeds (and therefore into the range of invalidating the test) at about
  40 simultaneous simulated users, but the target Zope box seemed like it was
  only just starting to feel it - and that's without recompiling the kernel, the
  modules, and python for 586.
  <SPAN
  class=538232713-12072001>
  This
  is why I value "junk" machines so much; they give the Linux/*BSD person great
  power.
  <SPAN
  class=538232713-12072001>
  would say that if they are going to even remotely consider a "dualie," they
  ought to use it as a killer file or DB server.  I'm starting to realize
  that a fast file server on a good network is one of the coolest things an
  organization can have.
  <SPAN
  class=538232713-12072001>
  -
  Jeff
  <SPAN
  class=538232713-12072001>
  <SPAN
  class=538232713-12072001>
  <SPAN
  class=538232713-12072001>
  <FONT color=#0000ff
  face=Arial>  -----Original
  Message-----From: Armsby John-G16665
  [mailto:John.Armsby at motorola.com]Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2001
  5:17 PMTo: 'ale at ale.org'Subject: [ale] Compaq Reliant
  web server

    The IT group here is junking an HP box with my
    web stuff.  I told them I did not want to port to NT, that I preferred
    to stay with Unix.  I suggested Linux as an alternative on an Intel
    box.  They accept the idea.  Hooray!
    They are suggesting a Compact Reliant series
    server which comes with a RED HAT CD.  They want to know if I need dual
    processors.  Frankly the box is only getting about 2,000 hits in a 24
    hour period.  The current HP 9000 workstation has 256 meg of ram and a
    single 200 megahertz processor.  TOP is usually less than .1 except
    when I try to tar several thousand files over several days and then it jumps
    to 1.03 or so.  There is no discernable on the WEB server.
    My question is: Am I correct in assuming that an
    out of the box installation of Mandrake 8.0/Red Hat 7.0 or equivalent will
    not by default see two processors?  Don't I have to do a kernel
    recompile and select multi processor?
    John
  <FONT face=Arial

  This electronic mail transmission contains
  confidential information intended only for the person(s) named. Any use,
  distribution, copying or disclosure by any other person is strictly
  prohibited. If you received this transmission in error, please notify the
  sender by reply e-mail and then destroy the message. Opinions, conclusions,
  business of NIIT shall be understood to be neither given nor endorsed by NIIT.
  When addressed to NIIT clients, any information contained in this e-mail is
  subject to the terms and conditions in the governing client
  contract.